Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Oh Dan Haren, Why Must You Pain Me So?

     There are a few things in life that really get under my skin.  Oh, you want to know exactly what they are? I'll be happy to oblige you.

  1. Cold. Seriously, if you live in a cold weather state, it feels like winter goes on and on and on. 
  2. Other peoples kids. Sounds harsh right? Yeah, I know, but some parents should have never been allowed to have kids. And it's my kid who seems to always need sand washed out of his eyes because one of these hellions pushed one of them off the teeter-totter. (you, in the khakis, yeah you.  I'm watching you)
  3. Ignorance. Racists, bigots, people I work with.  They are EVERYWHERE!
  4. A player on the team that I root for, hurting the team that I root for.
     Dan Haren.  Dear, dear Dan Haren.  You sir, are really starting to get on my nerves.  Tonight's performance against the Indians is another example of why I now dread the days you pitch.  For those of you that are gonna say, but, Ervin Santana, Ervin Santana.  Santana has been seriously inconsistent this year, but you can tell early if it's gonna be a good game, or if you should get back to designing the model of the shipwrecked Titanic that you've been putting off for months.  Mr. Haren is another thing altogether.
     First, some stats, The basics.  Everything is up compared to last year (even his K/9, thank you 14 strikeout performance against the Mariners earlier this year). I would jump on the "regression back to the mean" bandwagon because they are strikingly close to his 2010 stats, except that was more of a down year for him than anything.  Digging a little deeper we get this.  GB% is way down from his career norms (2012 - 39.5%, Career 43.4%). But the biggest one I see is The HR/FB%.  Career - 10.4%, 2012.........12.3%.  Why? Probably a result of his pitches being up, and flat, which brings me to my next point.

     I read this quote in the game preview on the Angels official website, it goes like this:

The 31-year-old has struggled with tightness in his back, and his pitches have been slightly up and a little flat. 
Scioscia said Haren understands his issues and has made a few adjustments, giving hope that he can look more like the pitcher who was 16-10 with a 3.17 ERA in 2011, and less like the one who is 6-7 with a 4.53 ERA in 2012.

WHAT?! HAREN UNDERSTANDS HIS ISSUES AND HAS MADE A FEW ADJUSTMENTS?!  I am all for a person gritting his teeth and pushing through pain to do his or her job.  It's a pride thing, we as humans just can't help it. But does anyone remember When Jake Peavy tore his Lat muscle?  He was pitching through a nagging shoulder injury and had "adjusted his mechanics." I'm not saying something that serious is going to happen to Haren, but I would argue that a pitcher, might be the most important person on the diamond everyday.  He can win or lose the game all by himself, and Dan pitching through pain is not helping.  


     He has been lucky to be getting quite a bit of help from an offense that has been a nearly unstoppable force for the better part of the last two months.  But every team goes through dry spells, and that will make a current Dan Haren performance unwatchable (think tonight's game against Cleveland.  We battled back, just to watch Dan give the lead right back the next inning).  It's not fair to him to pitch like this, and it's not fair to his teammates who wont be able to save his backside every time.


     If Dan is hurt, and I suspect that he is, he needs to swallow his pride and miss a start (or two).  I understand the competitive spirit, and I get it.  But you're hurting the team Danny boy, and that simply wont fly for a team that is in the hunt for a playoff spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment