Friday, December 7, 2012

Number Crunchers and Game Watchers

There are two camps for baseball fans. Camp one, the "Stat Geeks." Heavy reliance on data and analysis is required. Baseball can be shrunk down, and thanks to Fangraphs, Baseball-Reference, Baseball Prospectus etc. and so forth, Bill James initial work done in the 70's has evolved into the massive Sabermetric presence we see today in baseball. It's called progress, and it's OK. Camp two, the "Watchers." Even though sayings like, "looks can be deceiving" and "these lying eyes" have been around for decades, these folks hold nothing above what they see when it comes to evaluation. the anti "moneyballers." Two camps, two ideas, red states and blue states, Hatfields and McCoys. A veritable WAR if you will. But why the vitriol?




Why does this really matter to me? Well, allow me to explain. About a month ago on twitter, I jumped into a discussion with Scott Stedman who writes for AngelsWin.com. The discussion was concerning whether or not Anibal Sanchez was worth the money that he was asking for in free agency. Scott likes Anibal. I, on the other hand, do not. At least, not for the money and years it would take to sign him. Scott went with a stats argument, which is fine by me, I understand most of the advanced stats and can counter argue them. But what kind of bothered me is that he referred to me as a "Numbers guy." I can't tell you what a good or bad wOBA is, but (as pointed out already), I'm pretty well versed with most stats. I'm also no slouch when it comes to the "eye test." I can tell why a batter's timing is off and how its affecting the rest of his swing. I can see when a pitchers front side is flying open and is causing his pitches to flatten out.

Needless to say, the conversation went on, but that phrase stuck with me. Along with my own experience, the Mike Trout vs. Miguel Cabrera MVP debate showed just how wide the divide really is between the two sides. I would say it's "Grand Canyon-ish," but I don't think that properly illustrates how wide it really is.

Of course, therein lies the problem. As a group we still are, in fact, baseball fans. We love this game, all year round. And if anything was proven by Moneyball, it's that, in today's game, you need to have a grasp on both the numbers and the ability to scout well to survive. You can't build a winning team with Microsoft Excel. You also can't build a winning team with guys who have "good baseball bodies." Brandon Wood looks smashing in a baseball uniform, too bad he can't hit a slider to save his life. Juan Pierre gets on base and steals bags as well as anyone. He also has a noodle for a left arm.

What's the point of this rant? Don't be close minded. Know everything you can know. Don't swear off WAR, but understand its value. Know what FIP is, but know pitching mechanics as well. This game isn't black and white as some believe. But you ignore the black and white views at your own peril. Know the numbers. Know the game. Know that by having a grasp on both, you immediately have the upper hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment